Preparative HPLCSeveral factors influence the solvent choices for preparative HPLC like the stationary phase, volatility, viscosity, UV-transparency etc. Good solubility of the substrate in the eluent is decisive for high sample loads of the column. A suitable eluent can be chosen by the approach below.
- Generate a list of chemically compatible solvent
- Refine list to be suitable for chromatography
- Find the HSPs of the stationary phase (SP) and substrate (S)
- Since the eluent shall interact both with the stationany phase SP and the substrate S the virtual eluent point V is placed between SP & S
- List single solvents and solvent pairs sorted by increasing distance to V in the HSP space
- Report results for testing
This approach was successfully applied to the purification of an aromatic compound.